Paul Hooge 
R2R2R-R2R2R-R2R2R-R2R2R-R2R2R

I had planned a write up on my experience, but between Brian Metzler’s excellent and detailed piece for Trail Runner Magazine and a long interview with Adam McRoberts on his inspiring, “Do Big Things” podcast, anything more would be redundant. Links Below.  Thanks Brian & Adam! 


I do want to mention a couple things. 

The Grand Canyon holds a special facination with the public and trail runners in particular for good reason. It is one of the most unique and spectacular settings in the world.  For this reason it also garners more attention on hiking and running forums. Although I won’t lie that this was challenging for me, I recognize that there are trail runners and adventurers doing greater things everyday. I did this to test myself, not to prove anything to anyone. If others find inspiration from this effort that makes me very grateful.  It should also not in any way diminish any runner or hiker’s epic R2R2R plan or accomplishment.  They are different. 

I would be remiss not to mention that Christof Teuscher’s 4x R2R2R time is one of the most impressive Grand Canyon FKT’s.  This became painfully apparent as I tried unsuccessfully to mimic his pace.  Big kudos Christof!

I’m certain I would not have finished without knowing that many friends were supporting and tracking online, friends Julia and Drew who showed up to encourage me to push on and had thier own epic runs, my wife Robin’s dozens of mostly unanswered texts, Della the Ranger who insisted that I knock on her cabin door at night if I needed anything and over 100 hikers, runners and park rangers who, as word spread, cheered me on everyday.

I’m very grateful for the opportunity to have this tiny part of history in the Canyon. FKT’s in the Grand Canyon will continue to fall.  I don’t plan to be back on these trails for a while. Not because I don’t love it there, but because after seventeen R2R2R crossings I believe I have taken more than my fare share of this sacred place and it’s time to step aside and allow others to experience this increasingly crowded limited resource.  There are so many amazing routes barely trodden on or yet to be discovered on this planet and even in the Grand Canyon itself.  

Best of luck on your adventures!

Paul


Links:

Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/5380493518

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPTsBntHEKi/?utm_medium=copy_link

Trail Runner Magazine

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/grand-effort-how-paul-hooge-did-r2r2r-five-times

Do Big Things Podcast

https://youtu.be/qufEZgPN6ik

Fastest Known Times

https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/paul-hooge-grand-canyon-crossings-az-2021-05-24



Comments